Who is Eligible?
Must be one of the following:
• Must be a U.S. citizen or qualified resident.
• Pregnant and/or Parenting at least one child under 36 months of age
• There are no income or insurance requirements to receive services.
All services are FREE OF CHARGE For more information, or to schedule a session contact SABD at 210-222-0988 or email [email protected].
Provides FREE and CONFIDENTIAL pregnancy services including a lab quality urine test, with immediate results.
• Proof of Pregnancy provided
• Parenting Resources
• Options Counseling
• Medical Referrals
• Parenting Support Programs
• By Appointment Only
Birth Doula Services provide prenatal and childbirth education to prepare mothers and their support persons for the challenges of pregnancy, labor, and birth by offering non-medical physical and emotional support during the labor and birth process.
• Prenatal support: A doula will meet with you and your partner approximately two or three times during your pregnancy to become acquainted, explore and discuss priorities, discuss fears or concerns, help write a birth plan, and prepare for labor and birth. These prenatal visits may be in the home, during doctor or midwife visits, in the SABD office, and/or any other agreed upon location. If you think you may be in labor, you can call your doula 24/7 to help you identify if you are in early or active labor.
• Labor and Birth Support: A Doula will help expectant mothers and their families in a number of ways before, during, and after childbirth. A doula can help expectant mothers by:
• Referring compassionate and understanding doctors and midwives;
• Working with mothers on a birth plan;
• Being present in the early stages of labor at the hospital;
• Providing continuous emotional and physical support during labor and birth;
• Teaching family and/or their partner how to comfort and support mothers during labor;
• Providing support after childbirth on how to cope with the challenges of motherhood; and
• Providing newborn and parenting information about infant and baby/toddler development stages.
Project Postpartum is a service that SABD makes available to new mothers because it is important to be a successful and happy parent.
Postpartum doulas help mothers:
• By educating them on the healing process, the importance of nutritious foods and snacks, drinking enough fluids and getting enough rest;
• Recover from childbirth by offering in-home physical assistance during the early weeks and months after birth;
• Make decisions regarding breastfeeding or bottle feeding, general newborn care and how to involve an older sibling in the newborn’s life; and
• Learn proper newborn care, such as cord and circumcision care, car seat and carrier safety, creating safe sleeping environments for baby, appropriate play and stimulation for intellectual and physical development.
• Breastfeeding Services offer support from SABD’s IBCLCs (lactation consultants) during your pregnancy and after you bring your baby home.
SABD offers lactation support and breastfeeding education through classes and one-on-one consultations with a Certified Breastfeeding Coach.
To schedule a private consultation please call and leave a detailed message at 608-618-6329.
Provides family assistance such as maternity clothes, diapers, baby clothing, baby furniture, and other baby items.
SABD offers carseat classes and private consultations for families who are pregnant and/or have a child under 36 months of age. No cost convertible carseats are available to those who qualify. Call the office at 210-222-0988 to schedule a private consultation with a Certified Child Passenger Technician.
Educational Classes are designed to educate expectant or new parents about birth preparedness, practices, labor, and newborn care.
See calendar of events for the on-going 6 week courses for childbirth preparation. Topics include: • healthy birth practices • nutrition for pregnancy and postpartum • comfort measures during labor • common interventions • writing a birth plan • continuous support during labor • basic newborn care • breastfeeding and/or bottle feeding • weaning baby from breastfeeding • baby-wearing • car-seat safety • baby wearing classes
Fees:San Antonio Birth Doulas provides its services at no cost to clients. Because SABD is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, the agency will accept a monetary donation to the program which you can use as a tax deduction on your income taxes. Any donation given to SABD is not a fee for service. NOTE: Please do not offer your doula a tip, gift card or anything of monetary value. Your doula, educator, and/or lactation support persons receives payment from SABD for providing services to you. Thank you!
My newborn, Elliot, & I are very thankful for the comprehensive support from the San Antonio Birth Doula Team. We loved the insightful zoom videos on nutrition from Megan, breastfeeding from Kathy, and babywearing + cloth diapering & how to prep for birth zoom videos from Bethany! We feel very blessed to receive friendly and professional care from Rachel, my main doula, & Susan, my back up doula. I definitely appreciate their help navigating my pregnancy and birth during Covid-19. Rachel did an excellent job assisting me with the Hypnobabies program during my third-trimester pregnancy. Rachel also equipped me with the latest Spinning Babies inspired techniques and comfort measures to try during pregnancy & birth. For instance, she showed me different positions to use during the different stages of the birthing process, shared visualization techniques I could incorporate to ease my mind from any discomfort, and Rachel introduced the tens unit which I happily used throughout the entire birthing process. Overall, I felt very blessed to have a smooth unmedicated birth thanks to the aid of Rachel’s techniques!